Portland, OR - Residents in Portland's Mount Tabor neighborhood are trying to save a giant tree from the developer's saw.
When neighbors heard of plans to build on the lot where the tree stands they asked for a compromise that would allow for new homes to be built around the tree.
KATU reports it's known as the Paradox walnut tree, a type developed by Luther Burbank.
The tree trunk is 15 feet around.
Neighbor Margreit Hecht says if the tree could write history, it could write the history of Portland, and if it could speak it would say, "What a crime it would be if you cut me down."
- Spokane police officer saves woman from burning car
- Update: Northern Idaho authorities clear deputy in fatal crash
- One person killed in early morning house fire
- Viral video features Spokane area airmen being blocked by protesters
- 92-year-old man attempts snow shoeing for first time
- Thousands participate in Spokane Women's March