Polson, MT - The Polson City Commission has proposed tripling the city's water and sewer rates to pay for a $19 million wastewater and sewage treatment plant needed to meet federal discharge regulations that take effect in 2018.
The Missoulian reports it was standing-room-only for Monday's commission meeting at which the new rates were discussed. Residences that use less than 5,000 gallons of water pay about $30 monthly for water and sewer. The proposed rates for the same usage would be in the $90 range.
Many at the meeting wanted to know how the city expected young families, those on fixed incomes, landlords and businesses to pay three times their current water and sewer rates starting in August.
Commissioners tabled the final reading of the proposal and will take it up at again on July 21.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River