SEATTLE - Authorities say a Seattle police officer came upon two men in the midst of an altercation and shot one of them as officials were working to clean out a homeless encampment known as The Jungle.
The Seattle Times reports two longtime officers participating in the sweep saw two men fighting Tuesday afternoon and one appeared to have a knife.
Seattle Police Chief Kathleen O'Toole says one of the officers discharged a weapon and a suspect was injured. She says a knife was recovered at the scene.
The Seattle Fire Department said in a tweet that a man had life-threatening injuries and another had minor injuries.
A Harborview Medical Center spokeswoman says one person was taken there in critical condition and the other was in satisfactory.
- Preparing for potential flooding
- Private plowers celebrating winter weather
- Providence Health Care restricting visitors to combat flu season
- Statuses updated for injured Bonner deputies, suspected shooter
- Spokane Public Schools explains decision to hold class Wednesday
- Spokane crews working to fight potential floods