BEND, Ore. - A Bend police affidavit says a robber at the Home Federal Bank two weeks ago demanded money by giving the teller a note written on the back of part of a grocery receipt.
Police said the receipt contained the last four digits of a food stamp account, which led to a suspect's name and a phone number, and then a telephone service provider came up with coordinates of the phone's location -- a Central Oregon campground.
The Bulletin newspaper reports that's where Bend police arrested 54-year-old Robert Short on theft and robbery charges.
Police said Short denied the charges, saying he never keeps receipts and would have thrown it in the trash, where anyone could have picked it up.
A plea hearing is scheduled May 27.
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties