SALEM, Ore. - Former staffers planning a memorial service for the late Oregon Gov. Vic Atiyeh are seeking donations to defray the costs.
The memorial is scheduled Sept. 3 at 10 a.m., at the state Capitol in Salem. It will be followed by a reception with refreshments.
Planners say no taxpayer funds will be used, so they're seeking contributions through the Oregon State Capitol Foundation. Donations to the nonprofit organization should be marked "Atiyeh memorial."
Atiyeh served two terms as governor in the 1980s and was the last Republican to hold the office. He died July 20 at age 91.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives