FLORENCE, Ore. - The Lane County sheriff's office says a small plane carrying two people has crashed off the Oregon coast near Florence, and at least one person has died.
Sgt. Carrie Carver says the single-engine aircraft crashed just before 10 a.m. Sunday about 500 yards from the shore.
She says the Coast Guard has recovered one body. Search crews were trying Sunday afternoon to locate a second person.
Authorities did not release the identities of the people.
A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman says the aircraft, a Grumman American AA5, crashed under unknown circumstances in the water about 2 miles north of Florence. The plane was destroyed. The FAA and the National Safety Transportation Board will investigate.
- I-90 semi crash closes westbound lanes
- Spokane officer identified in Sunday shooting
- Senator to reporter: "None of your business" when education plan will be ready
- Eastbound Snoqualmie Pass lanes to open at 4 p.m.
- Westbound I-90 reopened at Fourth of July Pass
- Popular alt-right figure Milo Yiannopoulos cancels WSU appearance