PORT ORCHARD, Wash. - A popular park in Kitsap County is closed through Friday after more than 200 people reported becoming sick after swimming in the lake over the weekend.
Kitsap County health officials say they believe a virus is the likely source of the illnesses. Water samples collected showed low levels of the E.coli bacteria, and drinking water samples also were within acceptable levels.
Officials say they've received over 200 reports from people who swam at Horseshoe Lake County Park in Port Orchard. Many complained of vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps. Not everyone who swam got sick, and most people have recovered.
County officials closed the park Monday to investigate the reports.
Health officials hope stool samples will help them identify the virus.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults