BOISE, Idaho - The size and scope of wildfires burning in southwestern and central Idaho has prompted Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter to issue a disaster declaration.
Otter made the announcement Wednesday to support firefighting efforts on at least nine big fires burning across the state.
The declaration allows the Idaho Department of Lands to trigger its agreement with the Idaho National Guard to provide additional support to fire crew. The Idaho Emergency Operations Center has been activated and will be issuing assignments to the Idaho National Guard.
Authorities in Elmore County have also requested that the Bureau of Homeland Security pursue federal assistance to help protect threatened property and communities near the Trinity Ridge Fire.
That fire has burned more than 100-square miles and is moving closer to Pine and Featherville.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line