PORTLAND, Ore. - Authorities on the southern Oregon coast say a man apparently committed suicide after firing shots as he drove by a beach parking lot, hitting at least five vehicles and killing a man believed to have been asleep in one of them.
Coos County District Attorney Paul Frasier said the gunfire at Bastendorff Beach was reported about 1 a.m. Tuesday, and authorities haven't figured out a motive for it.
He says the gunfire came from a vehicle driven by 34-year-old Zachary Levi Brimhall, later found dead of a wound apparently self-inflicted. Frasier said Brimhall had multiple weapons.
The identity of the man killed was not immediately released.
The beach is south of the mouth of Coos Bay.
Frasier said Brimhall was from Dillard, south of Roseburg in Douglas County.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults