BILLINGS, Mont. - Two police officers reported finding the Roosevelt County sheriff asleep on a sidewalk in Wolf Point earlier this month.
A police report obtained by The Billings Gazette indicates Officer Joey Olson spotted a man lying on the sidewalk at about 3:30 a.m. on Aug. 14, and suspected he was "intoxicated and sleeping."
The report says the officers identified the man as Sheriff Freedom Crawford and took him to his in-laws' house at his request.
Crawford wasn't cited. The Gazette says it's unclear if the county took any disciplinary action.
Crawford declined comment last week and was out of the office on Thursday morning.
Crawford was given a six-month suspended jail term after pleading guilty to assault for throwing a man through a bar window during a drunken fight in Lewistown in August 2011.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line