HELENA, Mont. - A law enforcement officer accidentally shot himself in the leg during firearms training at an Army National Guard shooting range west of Helena.
Lewis and Clark County Sheriff's Capt. George Cruickshank says the man was participating in an exercise Wednesday morning in which officers draw their weapons, fire and re-holster them. The man accidentally shot himself in the right thigh.
The officer, whose name and agency were not released, was taken to the hospital in Helena where he underwent surgery.
Cruickshank says the man was in stable condition Wednesday evening.
Montana Army National Guard spokesman Maj. Tim Crowe says because the accident occurred at a Guard shooting range, an investigation will be conducted.
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River