The Snohomish County Sheriff's Office will not recommend charges against a Mukilteo man whose car hit and killed a 7-year-old girl earlier this year.
The Daily Herald reports that the sheriff's office announced Wednesday that the Collision Investigation Unit completed a forensic review of the May 7 accident and concluded the driver was not at fault.
First-grader Maimuna Bayo was killed in the collision south of Everett.
Sheriff's officials say Maimuna was riding her scooter outside an apartment complex when she was struck by the 23-year-old driver. Detectives found the primary cause of the collision was inattention on the part of the child, who was riding her scooter in the path of the approaching vehicle.
- Safety tips for people heading outdoors over Memorial Day weekend
- Three killed and several injured in Grant County crash
- DUI arrests still high even with millions using ride apps
- Washington second largest wine producing region in U.S.
- City of Spokane launches Fix-it-Fest 2017
- WSU issues reminder to leave young wildlife alone