SEATTLE - A group of neighbors near the old State Route 520 bridge are asking for federal intervention before the floating bridge is completely demolished.
KING-TV reports that the neighbors say they are worried about potential toxins that may be contained inside concrete from the old bridge, and the environmental impacts that may have on the lake.
The neighbors on Tuesday sent letters to the Federal Highway Administration and the United States Department of Transportation Inspector General asking for a federal investigation into how the Washington State Department of Transportation is handling all parts of the demolition. The letters cite fraud, misrepresentation and concealed information related to the project.
WSDOT officials say they have not seen the letters and cannot respond to them.
The demolition of the bridge is on track to be completed at the end of the year.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults