Portland, OR - Oregon's fourth- and eighth-graders are doing about the same on math and reading tests as they were two years ago and aren't far from the national averages.
The 2013 Nation's Report Card released on Thursday says 41 percent of Oregon's fourth-graders and 34 percent of eighth-graders scored at or above the proficient level for math, compared to 42 percent and 34 percent nationally.
In reading, 34 percent of fourth-graders and 37 percent of eighth-graders were proficient, compared to 34 and 35 percent nationally.
Oregon's 8th graders did slightly improve their reading scores -- they climbed by four points to 268 on a scale of 500. The national average was 266.
The results come from the National Assessment of Educational Progress, which is given to a sample of students.
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives
- National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties