TROY, Mont. - A search and rescue team member has been killed in a snowmobile crash during an avalanche preparedness training exercise in western Montana.
Authorities say 47-year-old Cameron Mitchell Goins of Libby died Saturday southwest of Troy.
Lincoln County Undersheriff Brent Faulkner says Goins and others were traveling to the training site in the Bear Mountain area when Goins for unknown reasons drifted off the main trail and hit a tree. He died at the scene at about 10:30 a.m.
The training was a joint exercise including teams from Sanders County, Boundary County in Idaho, and personnel from the U.S. Forest Service.
Faulkner tells the Missoulian that Goins was wearing a helmet but his body hit the tree.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line