OLYMPIA, Wash. - More than 1,000 people joined hands around Capitol Lake in a show of community unity.
The Hands Around Capitol Lake event on Wednesday was organized by a group called Stronger Together Thurston County and inspired by a similar gathering in Seattle last weekend, The Olympian reported .
The people of all ages who formed a human chain in the rain ended up covering a little more than two-thirds of the lake's 1.55-mile circumference. Organizers said the goal of the gathering was to promote the idea of peace in the wake of a divisive political season.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday