HELENA, Mont. - Attorney General Tim Fox says Montana will receive a federal grant to test 1,100 unprocessed rape kits from law-enforcement agencies across the state.
An audit of law enforcement agencies found that approximately 1,400 rape kits were not submitted to the state crime lab. Testing the kits could result in suspects being identified in some unsolved rape cases.
The FBI will test 300 kits. Up to half of the $2 million grant announced Thursday will go toward testing the remaining 1,100 kits.
The testing is expected to take up to 18 months.
Fox says four people will be hired as part of the three-year project. Grant money also will be used to produce a field guide outlining policies and procedures for sexual assault investigations.
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position