PORTLAND, Ore. - A Portland police spokesman says an 84-year-old man with Alzheimer's disease who was reported missing with his wife's car has been killed in a single-vehicle crash on Interstate 5 near Olympia, Wash.
Sgt. Pete Simpson said Wednesday that Ted Reich was killed Tuesday afternoon. The man's wife discovered him missing earlier Tuesday when she returned from walking their dog. The spokesman says the man reportedly had wandered before but had not previously left in a vehicle.
Relatives thought he might have been headed to the Portland Yacht Club, a gym or a pub.
The Washington State Patrol says the driver lost control on a northbound I-5 exit ramp, hit a guardrail and rolled multiple times. The accident closed the Maytown Road ramp for three hours.
- Spokane police officer saves woman from burning car
- Update: Northern Idaho authorities clear deputy in fatal crash
- One person killed in early morning house fire
- Viral video features Spokane area airmen being blocked by protesters
- 92-year-old man attempts snow shoeing for first time
- Thousands participate in Spokane Women's March