UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. - A 25-year-old service member from Joint Base Lewis McChord is dead after being shot by a Pierce County Sheriff's deputy just before midnight in University Place.
KIRO-TV reports the deputy was responding to a noise complaint at an apartment complex.
The sheriff's office says a man walked out of an apartment with a gun. He was told to put it down but didn't. Spokesman Ed Troyer says the officers shot him.
Investigators say they found evidence of a fight inside the apartment as well as knives, guns and other weapons.
Troyer called the incident unfortunate and said the deputies were lucky none of them or any neighbors were hurt in the shooting.
The sheriff's office says it's not known if the soldier fired his weapon at any point.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home