UNIVERSITY PLACE, Wash. - A 25-year-old service member from Joint Base Lewis McChord is dead after being shot by a Pierce County Sheriff's deputy just before midnight in University Place.
KIRO-TV reports the deputy was responding to a noise complaint at an apartment complex.
The sheriff's office says a man walked out of an apartment with a gun. He was told to put it down but didn't. Spokesman Ed Troyer says the officers shot him.
Investigators say they found evidence of a fight inside the apartment as well as knives, guns and other weapons.
Troyer called the incident unfortunate and said the deputies were lucky none of them or any neighbors were hurt in the shooting.
The sheriff's office says it's not known if the soldier fired his weapon at any point.
- I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass closed all day, night
- Man killed in weekend officer-involved shooting identified
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting