Man who dived into Grant County canal to save boys speaks out

Man who dived into Grant County canal to save boys speaks out

GRANT COUNTY, Wash. - Investigators say a 10-year-old boy was behind the wheel of a pickup when it crashed into a Grant County canal, killing the boy's father 45-year-old Scott Kolves and 8-year-old brother Korey Kolves

KXLY 4 News spoke exclusively with one of the men who helped rescue two Kolves boys from the icy water.

It was March 30th and Spokane Community College student Cameron Cox and his dad were fishing in Grant County near Summer Falls. Scott Kolves and his three boys, ages 8, 10 and 12, were in their pickup truck on the other side of the canal.

"They turned around and sat there for a few seconds and then we heard gravel fly and then the truck went into the canal," said Cameron Cox.

Investigators say 45-year-old Scott was teaching his 10-year-old son how to drive when the pickup plunged over the bank. Cox and his dad raced to the other side of the canal.

"By the time we drove around the truck was submerged an there was four people floating in the water," said Cox.

The fast moving water pulling the family downstream.

"And they were screaming, 'help us, help us!'" said Cox.

The two fishermen had to drive down the canal to get ahead of the Kolves family.

"Cause we were going like 30 miles an hour and they were keeping up with us," said Cox.

When they were far enough ahead Cox jumped out and raced into the canal grabbing the first boy and carrying him up the steep bank.

"I gave him my coat and I said, 'You're going to have to wait here you're going to have to hold on because I have to go get your brother," said Cox.

He then went back for the second who was holding on to a rock, barely above water.

"I reached down and grabbed him, pulled him out of the water and he didn't have any shoes so he couldn't walk up the rocks, put him on my back, carried him up," said Cox.

Unfortunately there was no way for Cox to reach 8-year-old Korey Kolves, he's haunted by the memory of watching the boy float away.

"But after talking with the family and kinda sharing some feelings and everything I feel a lot better," said Cox.

Rescuers found Korey's body five miles downstream. Despite all efforts Scott Kolves' body still hasn't been found. Officials say when they do, they'll close the investigation.