Man suspected in two fatal Seattle shootings turns gun on self

SEATTLE, Wash. - The man suspected in the fatal shooting at a University District cafe in Seattle has taken his own life, KOMO News reports.

Seattle Assistant Police Chef Jim Pugel said police officers approached the man at 37th and Raymond just before 4 p.m. When the man saw the officers, he knelt down on the street and turned the gun on himself, Pugel said.

The man was rushed to Harborview Medical Center, where he was in critical condition. Police sources identified the man as Ian L. Stawicki, 40, of Ellensburg.

Police believe the man is responsible for a fatal shooting at a University District cafe that left three people dead and two others injured, as well as a separate shooting near Town Hall that claimed the life of a woman.

"Unfortunately, these are all connected. Fortunately, we have the person in custody," said Pugel, adding evidence found at both scenes link the incidents.

Police said a man opened fire at Cafe Racer at 5828 Roosevelt Way NE at approximately 11 a.m.

Two men were pronounced dead at the scene, and a woman later died at Harborview Medical Center. Two other men who had sustained critical injuries were undergoing emergency surgeries on Wednesday afternoon.

A witness told KOMO News that moments after shots rang out, "a woman ran down the streets and yelled to get back inside; (she said) there was a man with a gun."

It was not known what prompted the shooting, and no information about the victims has been released.

About a half hour later, a woman was fatally shot near Town Hall at Eighth and Seneca. A witness told police the woman was in an argument with a man who pulled out a gun and shot the woman in the head.

"I see this guy leaning down over this woman kicking her, then he shot her in the face," one witness said.

The woman was rushed to Harborview Medical Center where she was died. The gunman was seen driving away in a black SUV.

The car was recovered about a half hour later in the 4100 block of Delridge Way in West Seattle, and officers spotted a gun inside the car.

In the wake of the shooting, Wednesday night's scheduled event at Town Hall has been canceled.

Wednesday's shootings were the latest incidents in a string of violence that has plagued the Seattle and led some city leaders to openly question whether police are doing enough.

Twenty people have been killed in Seattle so far this year with only seven arrests made, not counting two cases that were cleared.

Last week a man was fatally shot by a stray bullet while he and his family drove down a street in the city's Central District. Justin Ferrari, 43, a software developer, was killed when a stranger started shooting Thursday afternoon. Police said the gunman's intended target was another person involved in a dispute with the gunman.

Ferrari's death was the second random killing in Seattle in about a month. In late April, a 21-year-old woman who recently moved to Seattle from Albuquerque, N.M., to pursue her dream of becoming a chef died of injuries suffered in an apparently random drive-by shooting near downtown. No arrests have been made in either incident.

Last year, the city saw 20 homicide cases. In 2010, there were 19 cases.

RELATED CONTENT: Interactive map of Seattle-area shootings