SEATTLE, Wash. - Seattle police say a man was shot during a confrontation with police officers at a city park early Wednesday morning.
Police say officers patrolling Gas Works park around 2:45 a.m. were approached by a security guard who told them that a man had attacked him. The security guard told officers that he saw a man starting a small fire and told him to stop and leave the park. The man then chased off the security guard.
Police say officers approached the man, who then broke a glass bottle and brandished it at them. In response officers deployed Tasers but that did not subdue the man.
Still armed with the broken bottle, the man lunged at an officer and that's when two officers fired their weapons. The man was transported to Harborview Medical Center with life threatening wounds.
Per policy, officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave as an investigation is completed.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults