SEATTLE - A man was critically injured in a fire Wednesday morning at a house in Seattle's Central District.
The fire department says he didn't have a pulse when firefighters pulled him out of the home but medics were able to get a heartbeat after eight minutes of CPR. He was taken to Harborview Medical Center suffering from smoke inhalation and life threatening injuries.
Fire Department spokesman Kyle Moore says the fire was difficult to fight because the house was full of combustible materials stacked waist to shoulder high.
The fire was started by smoking materials discarded in a kitchen garbage can. Property damage is estimated at $150,000.
The fire was reported before 2 a.m. by a neighbor who broke down the door but was held back by smoke and heat.