Salem, OR - A man who suffered an eye injury clearing trails as part of court-ordered community service has sued Polk County, saying it failed to provide proper tools and safety equipment.
The Salem Statesman Journal reports the suit filed in federal court in Portland by Theadore T. Sussan of Dallas seeks an unspecified amount of damages.
The suit says Sussan was clearing trails at a park in Rickreall in August 2012 when a supervisor told him to break a tree with his bare hands. The suit says the tree swung back and hit Sussan in the right eye, requiring "numerous surgeries" and causing a loss of vision.
The suit said Sussan had been convicted of delivery of methadone and sentenced to probation and 120 hours of community service.
- Ferguson files lawsuit over sexual harassment of farmworkers
- Man ejected from truck found dead at scene
- Escaped inmate located and taken into custody
- 4 Things To Know For April 26
- Spokane family knows first hand high demand for behavioral health services
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns