BREMERTON, Wash. - A Kitsap County jury has convicted a 31-year-old man in the killings of his ex-girlfriend and a small child at a Bremerton mobile home park last year.
The Kitsap Sun reports that jurors deliberated for three days before finding Gerardo DeJesus guilty of two counts of murder in the March 2015 shooting at Kariotis Mobile Home park, which left 30-year-old Heather Kelso and her roommate's 2-year-old son, Kaden Lum, dead.
DeJesus, a former Puget Sound Naval Shipyard painter, was also convicted on two counts of attempted murder for shooting Kelso's friend, Matthew Dean, as he fled the trailer, and for shooting at Jalisa Lum, who tried to cover her son when she heard shooting.
Prosecutors argued that DeJesus was angry at Kelso over the breakup and her allegations of child abuse against him.
The defense argued that detectives ignored other possible suspects.
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday
- 80-year-old woman dies in northern Idaho house fire
- Mexico club shooting: Spokane woman one of the injured