OROFINO, Idaho - A former Lewiston man who pleaded guilty to kidnapping a 6-year-old boy and holding him at knifepoint while demanding a ride into Orofino has been sentenced to at least 12 years in prison.
The Lewiston Tribune reports 2nd District Judge Michael J. Griffin sentenced 57-year-old Roger D. Ehler on Tuesday to up to 20 years in prison, with 12 fixed.
Investigators have said Ehler was staying with the child's grandfather in July 2012 when he forced the boy, his father and another man into a minivan and demanded a ride into town.
Clearwater County Sheriff Chris Goetz said others at the residence called the sheriff's office and a deputy stopped the minivan on a one-lane gravel road. The boy was not physically hurt.
Ehler pleaded guilty to kidnapping and aggravated battery in May.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home