SEATTLE - Authorities have identified a man fatally shot by a Seattle police officer Tuesday as officials were clearing out a homeless encampment known as The Jungle.
The King County Medical Examiner's Office identified the man Wednesday as 44-year-old Michael L. Taylor. He died from multiple gunshot wounds, the medical examiner said.
Police officers were at the homeless camp along Interstate 5 in south Seattle on Tuesday as efforts to clear out the camp was getting underway.
Seattle Police Chief Kathleen O'Toole said Tuesday that two officers had come upon two men in a knife fight and that as officers tried to separate the men, one officer fired, shooting Taylor. He died later at a Seattle hospital.
Police have not released any new information about the shooting including the identity of the female officer who opened fire. Authorities are investigating the incident.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home