ONTARIO, Ore. - Authorities say the pilot of a small plane who enjoyed flying in Eastern Oregon's canyon country hit a high-voltage power line and died in the crash.
The Malheur County sheriff's department says the crash happened Sunday about half a mile below Owyhee Dam near the Idaho border.
The pilot was identified as 52-year-old Edward Wilson Claugus of Incline Village, Nevada. He was the only person aboard.
Sheriff's Sgt. Rich Harriman said Claugus had a hangar at Ontario with another aircraft and was known to fly for recreation through the area.
The Federal Aviation Administration has begun an investigation.
Harriman says utility crews worked overnight to fix the power line.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home