MOLALLA, OR - Authorities are trying to figure out whether a 36-year-old Clackamas County man shot himself after an overnight standoff or was shot to death by officers.
The Oregonian reports the confrontation between Shane Griffin of Molalla and the sheriff's office SWAT team unfolded in the driveway of Griffin's rural home.
Deputies say Griffin's wife fled from the house Sunday night with their young children after he assaulted her.
Deputies spent about four hours trying to negotiate with Griffin, who was armed. But, they say, he wouldn't cooperate
The SWAT team arrived about 2 a.m. Monday, and shots were fired almost immediately. A sergeant at the scene said at least one member of the SWAT team opened fire.
- Preparing for potential flooding
- Private plowers celebrating winter weather
- Providence Health Care restricting visitors to combat flu season
- Statuses updated for injured Bonner deputies, suspected shooter
- Spokane Public Schools explains decision to hold class Wednesday
- Spokane crews working to fight potential floods