HAMILTON, Mont. - A 59-year-old western Montana man charged with killing a Washington state woman who disappeared in 1996 is still fighting extradition, but he did confirm his identity to a state judge.
Clifford Everell Reed of Victor faces a second-degree murder charge in the death of his co-worker, Sandi Johnson of Kirkland, Wash. Court records indicate he had a romantic interest in her that she did not reciprocate.
At an initial hearing last week, Reed refused to confirm his identity and signed court documents with an "X."
The Ravalli Republic reports Reed appeared before District Judge James Hayden on Thursday and acknowledged he is the man Washington state authorities are seeking.
Ravalli County prosecutors say prosecutors in King County, Wash., are filing a formal request to have Reed transferred to Washington.
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position