BELLINGHAM, Wash. - A Bellingham man has been hospitalized for severe burns after an explosion and fire inside a triplex apartment building, where police say he operated an illegal drug lab.
The Bellingham Herald reports that no one else was injured in the Monday night blast that caused an estimated $50,000 in damage.
Police Lt. Bob Vander Yacht says the injured man hasn't been charged with a crime, although several small butane canisters and more than 200 ounces of marijuana were found at the scene.
Vander Yacht says the man, whose name hasn't been released, admitted to officers that he had been running a "hash oil extraction lab."
A hazardous materials team had been sent into the building before firefighters were cleared to go inside and extinguish the flames.
- Carlyle to stop providing assisted living housing in October
- Monday least expensive day to fill up at the pump
- Accidental drug overdoses on the rise in Spokane
- Local businesses worried about transients next door
- Spokane woman writes letter to man who broke into her car
- Don't leave valuable property in your car