Missoula, MT - The Missoula County sheriff's office is investigating after a Missoula man said a hunter shot one of his Malamute dogs while they were cross-country skiing near Lolo Pass.
Layne Spence tells the Missoulian he was skiing with his three dogs on a quiet logging road Sunday afternoon when he heard a shot and saw his 2-year-old dog, Little Dave, fall down with a leg injury.
Spence says about 15 yards away he saw a man wearing camouflage and carrying a gun. He said he screamed at the man to stop shooting, but the man fired five more shots.
Spence says he shouted at the man, asking what he was doing and the man responded, "'I thought it was a wolf."'
Spence said the man left without another word.
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up
- Local school district tackles '13 Reasons Why'
- Humane Society volunteer wins award for shelter