JOINT BASE LEWIS-MCCHORD, Wash. - An Army nurse from Madigan Army Medical Center at Joint Base Lewis-McChord was one of four people killed over the weekend by an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan.
She was identified by the Defense Department Tuesday as 25-year-old 1st Lt. Jennifer M. Moreno of San Diego, Calif. She had volunteered as a member of a cultural support team with a special operations task force deployed in June.
Also killed in Sunday's blast were 25-year-old Sgt. Patrick C. Hawkins of Carlisle, Pa., assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, Fort Benning, Ga.; 24-year-old Sgt. Joseph M. Peters of Springfield, Mo., assigned to the 5th Military Police Battalion, Vicenza, Italy; and 24-year-old Pfc. Cody J. Patterson of Philomath, Ore., assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, at Fort Benning, Ga.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday