SEATTLE - Washington state regulators have fined a property owner $79,000 for illegal clearing sensitive shoreline on San Juan Island.
The Department of Ecology last week issued two penalties to Orca Dreams LLC for illegally cutting down at least 80 trees and allowing polluting material to enter False Bay.
KUOW-reports that Orca Dreams was formed by Dave Honeywell, a Virginia man who won a $217 million Powerball lottery last year. He plans to develop the stretch of shoreline into his retirement home and family compound.
Friday Harbor lawyer Stephanie Johnson O'Day is representing Honeywell and his wife. She says they accept responsibility for their contractor clearing more brush than they wanted. She says the couple will appeal the fine.
The state has ordered a restoration plan by the end of August.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives