LONGVIEW, Wash. - A 40-year-old Longview man who decided to euthanize his dog after it ate a box of doughnuts was sentenced Tuesday to 14 days in jail.
Chad Scott Miller told the Cowlitz County Superior Court judge he felt he had run out of options with his pit bull named Nero after it bit him in October 2012 when he hit it for eating the doughnuts.
Miller said he was afraid the pit bull would bite his grandmother or children in the neighborhood. So he beat the dog with a sledge hammer.
The Daily News reports Nero escaped with a fractured skull and recovered in the care of the Humane Society.
Miller was convicted last month of animal cruelty.
- Senator to reporter: "None of your business" when education plan will be ready
- Stripper pleads guilty to running multi-state drug ring
- Study: Idaho natural gas and oil taxes below many states
- Federal judge says he is inclined to let lawsuit proceed
- I-90 semi crash closes westbound lanes
- Spokane officer identified in Sunday shooting