PASCO, Wash. - Franklin County Sheriff Richard Lathim is defending his jail staff against accusations that inmates are treated inhumanely.
He told Tri-City Herald that a lawsuit filed in federal court was based on lies from inmates hoping for a lighter sentence or plea deal.
The lawsuit filed by Columbia Legal Services on behalf of inmates says mentally ill inmates were chained to a fence for days, pepper-sprayed or left unsupervised in restraint chairs.
The lawsuit asks the judge to order jail to stop practices that putting inmates at risk of being hurt.
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Naked man arrested in community college women's bathroom
- 4 Things to Know for April 28th
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land