SALEM, Ore. - A cold case investigator says the man who killed two girls in Corvallis and Salem in 1978 killed himself two months later after he was subpoenaed by a Benton County grand jury.
Retired Salem police Sgt. James "J.R." Miller met last month with the parents of Ann Marie Ellinwood and Stephanie Ann Newsom. Ellinwood was 12 years old and Newsom was 11 when they were killed 36 years ago.
Miller says his research into the cases shows they were killed by Earl Fred "Woody" Chambers, a sex offender who took his own life while under investigation.
Newsom's body was found by farmers in a field but Ellinwood's body has never found.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line