KALISPELL, Mont. - A Kalispell woman who pleaded guilty to embezzling nearly $143,000 from her former employer has been given a 10-year suspended sentence and ordered to pay restitution.
The Daily Inter Lake reports District Judge David Ortley sentenced 44-year-old Taira Desart on Nov. 21.
Prosecutors alleged Desart embezzled the money between 2005 and 2011 while she worked as a bookkeeper for Jesco Marine and Power Sports in Kalispell. The theft was discovered in May 2011.
An audit of the first five months of 2011 showed over $12,000 was missing and a complete audit found the total loss was $142,723.
Desart had been the company's bookkeeper for 17 years.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line