EVERETT, Wash. - Jurors have recommended that a 54-year-old inmate should be sentenced to death for killing a Washington state corrections officer in a prison chapel two years ago.
Byron Scherf is a convicted rapist who already was serving life in prison when he attacked and strangled officer Jayme Biendl with an amplifier cord in January 2011.
A Snohomish County Superior Court jury took about an hour to convict him of aggravated murder last Thursday, and the same jury on Wednesday morning recommended the death penalty. The judge scheduled a hearing later in the day to formally sentence Scherf.
The other possible sentence is life in prison without release.
- Idaho city officials eye former mill site along Spokane River
- Spokane man accused of sexually assaulting women faces serious penalties
- Trinity Catholic School breaks ground on new facillity
- New report says Spokane spends $1M on cops in schools
- Spokane man splits top prize in television reality show
- A robot that picks apples? Replacing humans worries some