SEATTLE - King County prosecutors say two young children were left alone for five days with little food in a filthy apartment after their mother failed to mention them when she was arrested.
Auburn, Washington, police found the children after neighbors reported a 3-year-old girl crying hysterically while clawing at a second-story window.
An account in court papers says police were overwhelmed by the smell of human feces and rotting food when they entered the apartment earlier this month. They found a naked 1-year-old boy with a rash and the little girl in soiled clothes. Police say they found only a bag of grapes for food.
The children were turned over to Child Protective Services.
Prosecutors have charged 23-year-old Qiara (Kiara) Dennis with two counts of abandoning a dependent person, with arraignment scheduled July 2. She was originally arrested for investigation of driving with a suspended license.
Prosecutor's spokesman Dan Donohoe said Tuesday he did not know whether Dennis has a lawyer yet.
- I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass closed all day, night
- Man killed in weekend officer-involved shooting identified
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting