SEATTLE - Colorful Seattle seafood chain founder Ivar Haglund and the orca Tokitae are among the seven possible names under consideration for two new Washington state ferries.
Also on the list released Thursday by the state Transportation Commission are five names that fit with the tribal theme for most of the 23 ferries already in service on Puget Sound: Cowlitz, Hoquiam, Muckleshoot, Samish and Sammamish.
Transportation commissioners will discuss the names at their Oct. 16 meeting in Olympia and likely make a decision at their Nov. 13 meeting in Tacoma.
The name Ivar Haglund was promoted by Seattle Times columnist Ron Judd and backed by a petition at Bartell Drugs stores.
Tokitae is the orca captured in 1970 at Whidbey Island's Penn Cove and better known as Lolita at the Miami Seaquarium.
- City Council approves $1.75m loan for Ridpath Redevelopment
- Mail Theft Ring Suspect Arrested
- City working to fill potholes despite poor road conditions
- Wrongful death lawsuit over case of Brenda Thurman still unresolved
- Post Falls company under fire for racist image
- Officer not charged in May 2016 shooting