BOISE, Idaho - A jury in southwestern Idaho has found a man guilty of murdering his girlfriend and her two young sons a decade ago.
Jurors returned the guilty verdicts against Jorge Alberto Lopez-Orozco just after noon Thursday, after a two-week trial. Sentencing is set for Jan. 14.
Prosecutors said Lopez-Orozco shot and killed Rebecca Ramirez and her boys in August 2002 because Ramirez planned to leave him. Two fisherman later found the burned remains of Lopez-Orozco's car and the bodies in Elmore County.
Lopez-Orozco's attorney Terry Ratliff told jurors that Lopez-Orozco was driving with Ramirez and the boys when someone shot at them. He said Lopez-Orozco ran away from the car hoping to lead the shooter away, and that he fled to Mexico because he was here illegally.
Lopez-Orozco was arrested in Mexico in 2009.
- New report says Spokane spends $1M on cops in schools
- Spokane man splits top prize in television reality show
- A robot that picks apples? Replacing humans worries some
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Naked man arrested in community college women's bathroom
- 4 Things to Know for April 28th