BOISE, Idaho - Officials say a prisoner who has been on Idaho's death row since 2001 has died after an extended illness.
The Idaho Department of Correction says Michael Allen Jauhola died Wednesday at age 41.
Jauhola had been on death row at the Idaho Maximum Security Institution since 2001, when he was sentenced for the 1998 murder of a fellow inmate. He was moved to the prison's medical unit in May.
The Department of Correction says the Ada County Coroner will perform an autopsy to verify the cause of death.
Jauhola was serving time for manslaughter and escape when he was convicted of first-degree murder in the death of fellow inmate John Alfred Williams. Court documents say Jauhola hit the 38-year-old in the head with a baseball bat several times during an exercise break.
- I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass closed all day, night
- Man killed in weekend officer-involved shooting identified
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting