OSO, Wash. - The Washington State Patrol says a house with people inside was carried across a road in rural Snohomish County just before 11 a.m. Saturday.
The Washington Department of Transportation says mud, trees and building materials are blocking both directions of State Route 530 near the town of Oso.
Trooper Mark Francis said the mudslide is estimated to be a mile long.
Search and rescue operations are underway by Snohomish County crews and the Washington State Patrol.
Spokesman Bart Treece of the Washington State Department of Transportation says he doesn't know how long the two-lane rural road will be closed. He says drivers are advised to find another way to get between Darrington and Arlington.
"We're standing by ready to help out where we can," Treece said.
- North Idaho millionare's estate up for auction
- Many seniors, mentally ill patients losing affordable housing
- Demand for new homes increasing, as is need for skilled workers and land
- Pickup plunges over 200-foot cliff, killing driver
- Domestic violence suspect flees after high speed chase
- Two men charged with burglarizing home