Bend, OR - An Oregon National Guard solider from Bend has been convicted of raping his fellow guardsman's 11-year-old daughter.
The Bend Bulletin reports that 35-year-old Florentino Allen Valdez hung his head after Judge Stephen Forte returned the guilty verdict Wednesday, and cried as he left the courtroom.
The judge said the evidence was "overwhelming."
Valdez is scheduled to be sentenced Tuesday. Mandatory minimum sentences for first-degree rape and sodomy charges are 25 years in prison.
He has been held in Deschutes County jail since his March 2012 arrest.
- 4 Things To Know For April 26
- Spokane family knows first hand high demand for behavioral health services
- North Monroe project to move forward despite lingering concerns
- Bloomsday looking for more volunteers
- Historic Ridpath hotel to be turned into affordable housing
- Problematic drug house in Spokane boarded up