BOISE, Idaho - Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl always seemed to be searching for something to define his life.
Growing up in the mountain town of Hailey, Idaho, Bergdahl was as likely to be pouring over a library book, as he was to be spotted bicycling through the hills that border the small town.
Now, as he recovers from five years as a Taliban prisoner and amid questions about whether he's a hero or a deserter, some who know him say his personality is too multi-faceted to be summed up in black and white.
Bergdahl was homeschooled, spending free time learning fencing and foreign languages. His former ballet teacher, Sherry Horton, says he was drawn to activities that required discipline and dedication.
She says that may be what led him to the military in 2008.
- Community helps SPD find hit and run suspect
- Several rallies, marches fill Spokane
- Woman arrested for South Hill hit and run
- Give 4 Kids raises over $58k for Children's Miracle Network
- Man who lost leg in motorcycle crash reunites with dentist who saved him
- 3D printing technology helps cardiologists save lives