Billings, MT - A former Billings Senior High School teacher who pleaded guilty to raping a 14-year-old student who later committed suicide has been sentenced to 30 days in jail by a judge who said the victim was "older than her chronological age" and "as much in control of the situation" as the teacher.
The Billings Gazette reports District Judge G. Todd Baugh sentenced 54-year-old Stacey Dean Rambold to 15 years in prison with all but 31 days suspended for sexual intercourse without consent. He gave Rambold credit for one day already served.
The girl's mother repeatedly screamed: "You people suck!" and stormed out of the courtroom Monday.
Rambold reached a deferred prosecution agreement after the girl's death, but prosecutors revived the case when they learned he had been terminated from a sex offender treatment program.
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line
- Providence Health Care to break ground on new behavioral health hospital
- Man charged with almost a dozen sexual assaults