NAMPA, Idaho - A former Nampa city council member has been sentenced to 90 days in jail and 12 years of supervised probation for insurance fraud.
The Idaho Press-Tribune reports that terms of the sentence given to Bob Schmidt on Tuesday in 3rd District Court require him to pay $47,000 in restitution.
Judge George Southworth says that if Schmidt fails pay at least $500 a month toward restitution he could end up in prison.
Schmidt pleaded guilty in November to one felony count of insurance fraud. He served on the council from 2002 to 2007.
Prosecutors say Schmidt misappropriated funds from his insurance agency, made transactions without the appropriate licenses and made false statements relevant to insurance transactions.
- Preparing for icy winter weather
- Neighbor of suspect shocked by shooting
- SPD officers attempted tasing suspect before resorting to deadly force
- Unvaccinated students forced to stay home due to mumps outbreak
- 2 Bonner County deputies shot near Blanchard
- Baldwin leaving EWU for Cal offensive coordinator position