Astoria, OR - Firefighters knocked down flames over the weekend but say they still have to mop up hot spots at two rare winter wildfires on the north Oregon coast.
Forestry Department spokeswoman Ashley Lertora told The Daily Astorian they have stopped the fires from spreading.
Dry winds fanned the flames last week. One fire about 5 miles southeast of Cannon Beach burned 273 acres on private timberland. The smaller fire burned 31 acres at Arch Cape.
Another fire on Saturday burned grass and trees in sand dunes at Long Beach, Wash., before it was extinguished by firefighters.
- Driver arrested after Spokane Valley crash injures four juveniles
- Lawmakers don't want pot billboards to be appealing to kids
- Thousands of pennies to help nonprofit school
- Hundreds 'March for Science' in Spokane
- Pink Ribbon Run will raise funds for local breast cancer patients
- STA one step closer to Central City Line