PORTLAND, Ore. - A Portland-area firefighter was killed in a kitesurfing accident this week on the Oregon Coast.
Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue says in a release that Wylie Johnson Jr., who went by Dale, was killed Thursday.
The 49-year-old Johnson was near Lincoln City when he suffered an unspecified accident. He was found by a friend, unresponsive.
Medical staff pronounced him dead after unsuccessful resuscitation efforts at the beach and hospital.
Johnson was a firefighter in Jackson County before joining TVFR in 1995.
- Neighbors shocked about Blanchard shooting
- SPD investigating alleged attempted child abduction
- 179 "at risk" students to be excluded from school due to mumps outbreak
- SIRR team investigating weekend officer-involved shooting
- Deputies, suspect involved in Blanchard shooting identified
- Lind-Ritzville schools announce early release Tuesday